BACK TO GALLERY                   HOME                ARTIST                  INFORMATION                    WORKS

Whitepine


THE BARQUE WHITEPINE SHORTENING SAIL FOR A SQUALL
Oil on canvas (960 x 650)mm

The Whitepine was launched in1879 as the Quathlamba for the Aberdeen Line for the trade to Natal.  Quathlamba was the original name for the Drakensberg Mountains, the principal range in South Africa.  She was built in the yard of Alexander Hall of Aberdeen and  measured 495
gross tons.

Until 1889 she traded to Natal, India and Mauritius and in that year she was sold to Peter Lawry Francis and her registry changed to London.  For the following ten years she plied the Atlantic to North and South America with one voyage to South Africa and Mauritius.  While in London in 1899 she was sold to James Craig, the owner of the Auckland based shipping, Craig Line.  Her passage out to New Zealand was stormy and took from May1, 1899 to August 25.  She was employed in the trans-Tasman trade, mainly hauling timber from New Zealand and coal from Newcastle N.S.W.  In 1905 her name was changed to Hazel Craig,  James Craig's second daughter.  Most of the Craig Line ships were named after family members.

In 1906 the Hazel Craig was sold to Captain Joseph Kennedy and others of Gisbourne, New Zealand and remained in the trans-Tasman trade until 1912 when she bought by Peter John McGennan of Warrnambool, Victoria who imported timber from New Zealand, mainly white pine or Kahikatea for the production of butter boxes.  In 1915 she was again sold, this time to a Captain Proctor and registered under the Whitepine Shipping Company Ltd. of Sydney and in 1917 her name was changed to Whitepine.  In the post-World War One shipping slump caused by a surplus of shipping, the Whitepine struggled to make a living until 1922.  In May of that year she was sold for hulking, sailed for Melbourne where she was stripped of her rig and employed as a coal hulk.  1n 1947 she was taken out and sunk by explosives off Barwon Heads.

The little barque was a beautiful vessel and the historian Basil Lubbock decribed her as: beautifully modelled, perfectly built and a perfect specimen of the small trader of the seventies and eighties.