BACK TO GALLERY                    HOME                         ARTIST                            INFORMATION                        WORKS

Waimate entering Wellington
The New Zealand Shipping Company ship Waimate passing Pencarrow Head and entering Wellington, taking in sail before a fresh southerly.
Oil on board (800 x 600)mm

Built for the New Zealand Shipping Company, the Waimate was the last of four sisters: Rakaia, Waikato, Waitangi and Waimate.  She was built of iron by J.Blumer & Co. of Sunderland in 1874.  Her measurements were:  length 220ft.,   breadth 35ft., depth 21ft. and her gross tonnage was 1,157.

The Waimate made 22 passages to New Zealand with passengers and freight.  In 1880/81 she set a record of 74 days from London to Lyttelton,  This was said to be unbeaten until 1900.  Homeward bound on this voyage she was nearly lost on the Patagonian Coast.  Having no chance of sights, the master found the ship embayed on a lee shore.  Her anchors, as was usual on a long voyage, were unshackled and securely stowed, the cables stowed in the chain locked and the hawse sealed.  Only superb seamanship in getting her anchors over and fortune in that they held until the wind shifted enough to enable the cables to be slipped and the ship worked clear, saved all on board.

In 1896 the Waimate was sold under the Russian flag and two years later reported missing on a voyage from Newcastle N.S.W. to Iquique.

Further information can be found in THE SAILING SHIPS OF THE NEW ZEALND SHIPPING COMPANY.  Alan Bott.  Batsford Ltd London 1972.