TO OLD AUCKLAND GALLERY
|Part of the Auckland waterfront about 1910.
The view is from about halfway along Fanshawe Street between Nelson Street and Halsey Street looking east. The scow Caed Mile Failte (Scot's Gaelic for A Hundred Thousand Welcomes) is discharging kauri logs which will be gathered into floating booms until they can the hauled up to the Kauri Timber Mills which were on the corner of Fanshawe street and Halsey Street, over the viewer's right shoulder. These logs could have come from anywhere between the east coast of Northland to Coromandel.
The power station which supplied the Auckland trams is on the left and leading up to the right of the power station is Bradnore Lane which connected, and still does, the foot of Nelson Street to Hobson Street. The skyline is dominated by St.Patrick's Cathedral and the building of Collin's Stationers.
This painting was completed in 1994.