BACK TO GALLERY
|The Craig Line barque Marjorie Craig alongside in
Auckland circa. 1906/1907.
Watercolour (740 x 530)mm
The Marjorie Craig was launched as the Hirotha in 1891. She was built of steel at Ardrossan in Scotland for Messrs. A. and F. Smith of Tvedestrand, Norway. She measured 540 tons gross.
Her first voyage took her to Africa, the Far East, South America, the West Indies and North America. Her second was equally as extensive. Three voyages to South America followed and another to the Africa and the Far East, returning by way of Trinidad in 1900. She then was laid up in south Norway.
On behalf of an Auckland syndicate Captain George Davies bought the Hirotha for employment in the inter-colonial trade. With a cargo of cement and general cargo, on 17 Sept 1900 she sailed from Hamburg bound for Brisbane. Thereafter she sailed in the trans-Tasman trade and, after a particualrly stormy passage to Melbourne, Captain Davies died and was replaced by Captain Daniel Savident. In September 1906 the Hirotha was bought by J.J.Craig who renamed her Marjorie Craig and painted her in with the painted ports of the other Craig Line sailing vessels. J.J. Craig continued to use her in the inter-colonial trade.
In all she made 43 voyages in the inter-colonial trade, until, in 1914 she was sold to Messrs. Huddart Parker Ltd. of Melbourne, cut down for a coal hulk and her name changed to Marjorie. In 1958 she was taken to a beach on the Yarra and cut up for scrap.
Prints are available.